Saturday, October 3, 2009

추석 [choosuk: korean thanksgiving]

So for choosuk I first went to my mom's side of the family.. It was slightly awkward because I haven't seen them in forever and my cousins were slightly scared of me.. its fine.. haha but my grandmother grows lots of plants on the roof of her house..


Spinach!

Radish!

Sesame Seeds!

she also had these cool old urns that she used to use to store kimchi and other cooking things (soy sauce, red chili pepper paste..)



Then the next day I went to the mountains to visit my great grandparents' grave with my dad's side of the family. We had to hike a bit and we were
carrying a lot of food so it was a little tough... But as soon as we got there the first task was to clean around the grave

and putting (fake) flowers around the grave...


and food!! This is basically a setup so my great grandparents can have a meal. note the two rice bowls and two sets of utensils set up for them

so the spoon is set in the rice bowl and the chopsticks are placed on various dishes so the spirits can eat.. then we do the traditional korean bow.

at the very end we all kneel and pray for various things we're wishing for...

then we eat and drink!!

and an awesome picture of my twin cousins demonstrating typical asian poses (but for real)

i had an awesome weekend

No comments:

Post a Comment